Fighting Crime and Promoting Public Safety
Rob is a champion for our communities against crime. He has led an all-out assault against drunk driving and has fought to protectour families from sex offenders.
Rob has served on the Virginia Crime Commission since 2003 and is currently vice-chairman. He has written new laws that:
- Crack down on repeat drunk- driving offenders and “super-drunk” drivers (HB 676 – 2004, HB 667 – 2004)
- Mandate jail for drunks who drive with children in the car (SB 1019 Floor Amendment – 2003)
- Allow judges to require drunk drivers to repay the medical and funeral expenses of their victims (HB 2008 – 2003)
- Increase penalties for those who sexually abuse the mentally infirm or physically helpless and who secretly videotape children (HB 660 – 2004, HB 663 – 2004)
- Close loopholes that let child molesters avoid justice (HB 1333 – 2006)
- Stop physical violence against family members (HB 656 – 2004)
- Expand protective orders law (HB 2063 – 2011)
- Mandate life in prison for adults convicted of serious sex crimes against children aged 12 and younger
- Allow fraud prosecutions for those who steal from Virginia’s mentally incapacitated
Rob also supports screening for illegal drugs to receive cash welfare benefits. It’s a bad idea to give someone cash if they are addicted to methamphetamine or crack cocaine.